Routes and safety
There are total of 410 km snowmobile routes in the Ylläs region, 300 km of which are maintained by a company called Ylläksen Yhdyskuntatekninen huolto Oy. There are also intersections to other routes all the way up to the national borders. You can find the real-time route maintenance information in the route diary.
Instructions for the routes:
- The snowmobile route area is marked with red crosses.
- You must obey the terrain traffic law. Snowmobiling is not a part of the everyman's rights. In the Ylläs region it is forbidden to use snowmobiles outside the official routes without the permission of the land owner. It is also forbidden to drive a snowmobile in the Pallas-Ylläs National Park .
- The speed limit is 60 km/h. In populated areas and the area around Ylläs the speed limit is 30 km/h. The speed limits are marked on the routes.
- Beware of oncoming traffic and also reindeers. Use the right-hand side lane, especially in the curves.
- Please allow the reindeers to leave the route at their own pace.
- Always keep safety equipment, spare clothes, food and drinks with you. Routes are partially in the wilderness.
- When crossing a water area, take extra precaution.